Thursday, July 15, 2010

Press Play and Repeat

I have a tendency to find songs I really like...and then put them on repeat for a few hours straight. I song binge, I'll admit it. I'm not sure why either, because only a few days later I'll end up getting so sick of the song that I won't be able to listen to it for months, except Josh Groban. For him and for some reason unknown, I can listen to over and over for years at end. I was first introduced into him by my father. Yes, out of everybody that could introduce to a singer like Josh Groban it ended up being my dad. It was a complete shock to my family. Let’s just say, my dad was a big fan of groups like ZZ Top, George Thorogood, and Queen and for him to all of a sudden be a big fan of Josh Groban… it was just plain weird.

Back in 2001, my father came home with a DVD of Josh Groban In Concert. He played it all the time. Just about every night for a solid month or so that DVD at one point or another was in the DVD player. It was annoying. Day after day listening to him even I didn’t listen to a song that often. Finally one day my dad asked me to sit down and watch some of it with him. As I sat down on the couch, Josh Groban started ‘Let Me Fall’ and I was hooked. My eyes glued to that TV like it was gold. Beyond his incredible voice, the lyrics to this song are so touching and fit perfectly with his voice. I was lost in the world of Josh Groban. To this day, I can listen to him non-stop. With 4 albums out and the 5th on its way his voice just gets more breathe taking with each song. It truly transforms a song into a master piece. With my top favorite singles, You’re Still You, You Raise Me Up, You Are Loved (Don’t Give UP), and February Song his voice will always be remarkable.

To get to my point: I'm aware I'm not the first to suffer from song binging, but seriously, why do we do it? Too much of a good thing can be bad, right? Like too much of a brownie sundae with extra chocolate will make you gain weight, and too much sleeping during the day will make you late to work but despite how much I know that I go through songs like chap stick. I know, deep down, deep deep deep down. I will and always will have Josh Groban as a binge that will never be fixed and I’m perfectly happy with that.


1 comment:

MAF said...

I loved your story about your dad's taste in music and then becoming mesmerized by Josh's music. You're so right about his voice.

I can't wait for his new cd!! Thanks for sharing.

MAF11